This inventory list contradicts the lawyer’s letter. The removal of this classified information after the letter was sent could explain why prosecutors cited obstruction law in their search warrant application.
The sources did not say when the letter was signed or by whom. This was part of ongoing correspondence with the Department of Justice regarding this matter.
CNN previously reported that following a June meeting in Mar-a-Lago, where justice officials walked away with classified information, investigators developed evidence, including from a witness, who led investigators to believe that there was even more classified information in the documents stored at the complex.
Unsealed court documents released Friday identify three federal crimes the DOJ is looking at as part of its investigation: Espionage Act violations, obstruction of justice and criminal handling of government records. The inclusion of the crimes indicated that the department had probable cause to investigate these offenses as it was gathering evidence during the search. No one has been charged with a crime.
The June meeting included Trump attorneys Evan Corcoran, Christina Bobb and federal investigators including Jay Bratt, head of the counterintelligence and export controls section at the Justice Department, CNN previously reported.
A separate source maintains that Trump’s representatives told investigators at the June meeting that Trump had declassified all documents.
Trump spokesman Taylor Budowich said in a statement to CNN: “As with all Democrat-fabricated witch hunts before, the waters of this unprecedented and unnecessary raid are carried by a ready-to-run media outlet. with suggestive leaks, anonymous sources and no hard facts.”
The National Archives, responsible for collecting and sorting presidential material, previously said that at least 15 boxes of White House documents were recovered from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort, some of which were classified.